Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Lithodes

Finally I get some color on this site. This is one of my most recent creations. The Lithodes was based off a Stone Crab mixed with a lobster hence the tail. The name stands for lithodes couesi the Scarlet King Crab. This is the first three view painting I have done even though a lot of my sketches and diagrams consist of the same set up. I want the viewer to build a 3D image of what is in front of them. A quarter view doesn't aways give this effect. The geometric charts on the sides are not just there to look pretty. They show the extent of movement in the joints. The middle one gives the range of how far the tail can move up and down showing each segment. The bottom right a side view of the front left arm. The bottom left is the limitations of the legs.

35x55 on fine art paper


No comments:

Post a Comment